Aarhus University Seal

AIAS Fellows' Seminar: Steen Hannestad, Jens Christian Skou Senior Fellow

Title: Measuring the Invisible - Probing the dark Universe with new observational techniques

Info about event


Monday 26 May 2014,  at 14:15 - 16:15


The AIAS Auditorium, Building 1632, Høegh-Guldbergs Gade 6B, 8000 Aarhus C


The past decade has seen a tremendous increase in our knowledge about the physical Universe, primarily thanks to new observations of the Cosmic Microwave Background – a relic of radiation from the hot, early Universe. However, in many ways we still know surprisingly little: Only about 5% of the Universe consists of known matter, the remaining 95% is in the form of Dark Matter and Dark Energy which we still have to determine the exact nature of. In the seminar, Steen Hannestad will review our current understanding of physical cosmology, and then proceed to discuss future observational techniques in cosmology, designed to shed light on Dark Matter and Dark Energy.

Short CV

Steen Hannestad is a Jens Christian Skou Senior Fellow at AIAS and professor of theoretical astrophysics at Aarhus University. His main field of expertise is in astroparticle physics, a research field which can loosely be defined by its use of observations of the largest scales in nature to infer the properties of elementary particles on the very smallest scale found in nature. He has authored or co-authored more than 150 research papers in the field and gives numerous talks every year, both scientific and popular. 


What is a Fellows' Seminar?

The AIAS Fellows' Seminar is a session of seminars held by the AIAS fellows or by other speakers proposed by the fellows. In each seminar, one fellow will present and discuss his/her current research and research project, closing off with a question and discussion session.

All seminars are held in English and open to the public. Registration to the seminar is not necessary. Read more about the AIAS Fellows' Seminar here.